Saturday, December 29, 2012

The road less traveled

By M. Scott Peck
 
This is much that I agree with here, though I don't agree with all his conclusions.
 
Peck argues that discipline and love are necessary for spiritual growth... From Wikipedia;.;
 
Discipline
In The Road Less Traveled,[6] Peck talked of the importance of discipline. He described four aspects of discipline:
  • Delaying gratification: Sacrificing present comfort for future gains.
  • Acceptance of responsibility: Accepting responsibility for one's own decisions.
  • Dedication to truth: Honesty, both in word and deed.
  • Balancing: Handling conflicting requirements. Scott Peck talks of an important skill to prioritize between different requirements -- bracketing.
 
 
Love for peck is extending yourself to allow others to grow.
 
A life of love and discipline foists much responsibility on us. We can't be passive with our love. When we know better, we are obligated to act. Yet, we must be humble when we know better. Do we really know better, or are we just medaling and manipulating without respect for someone else's path. This balance of the two possibilities requires constant discipline.
 
Peck views laziness as being the cause of all sin. Rather than doing the work needed for disciplined love, we take the easy way out.
 
I don't agree with his conclusions though, that we each must grow towards God, to being God. That miracles, grace and serendipity are proof that God is out there.
 
For me, love and discipline are the way, but not because of God. Love and discipline are the way, because unless we bring them to society, we will live in  world that is unloving and undisciplined.


I reread this book in Jan of 2015. My overall impression hasn't changed, but new things popped out at me.

In the past month Mark attempted suicide after our breakup. This has colored what I think about love. This book has a short section on suicide.... Peck says clearly that if you can't live without someone, then you are a parasite and what you feel is not love. This feels good for me, though I wonder if I would latch onto anything that resolves me of any guilt related to Mark's actions.

I read this they day after I read "Man's Search for Meaning." Both books argue that love, responsibility and freedom form a triad needed for growth and happiness,  Without responsibility, you have the kind of free love that has no consequences and is little more then pleasant feelings. Without freedom you have dependency and overbearing control. Without love you just have the endless doing of meaningless stuff.  Balancing all three is the endless challenge of personal growth. 

No comments: