Saturday, December 29, 2012

The way we see the world

Some would have us see the world with nonjudgmental awareness. I have a strong affinity for these philosophies. At the same time, we can't abandon the notion of right and wrong. We can't abandon our feelings. The death of a loved one is more than disadvantageous to me. It hurts. Sure, my feelings may not be important, but I do feel them.
 
How much of the world's truth depends on what we see? I wish I could find the source for this quote, but it's something like 'The problem with science is that it measures what it expects to find.' If the reality is so different, so removed from what an experimenter  tries measures, then the experiment will only observe faint echoes of the truth, if that.
 
In my world then, if the truth of the universe, if the meaning of life, is so far different from what I can observe, then what I learn is a faint echo of reality. The little bit that meshes with what I expect to find.
 
Yet, I can learn things that have great impact on me. I can learn to love someone, and be loved in return. I can learn to help. I can learn techniques to be happy.
 
If the truth of the universe is far from what I can perceive, then the truth must be gigantic and important, because it's echo's on me are loud and profound.
 
Either that, or the truth isn't so far from what I see.
 
To what extent is the universe the other way around? That because I perceive something, I make up  a truth to explain it.
 
Some truths are not that way. I can't walk through walls. The inability to walk through walls is not a learned behavior. (How do I prove that? It's common sense) What of the social and philosophic constructions? Friendship? Love? Happiness? Do they exist as commons sense? Are they the product of what I expect to see?
 
 

No comments: