Thursday, November 27, 2014

Flash Boys-- by Michael Lewis.

This is a very clear story about High Frequency Trading.

People earn money, much money trading thousands of times a second. But these trades have entered a doom loop. If you can trade faster, you can earn more money than the competition. But this extra speed comes at a high price. High Frequency Traders are on a death spiral. They must by the latest tech, the latest network no mater the price. If they don't they will go out of business.

I still don't know how I should feel about HFT. Worst case, over the 20 years I've been investing in the stock market, they have cost me, maybe $50.00.  If you are a large institutional investor, then yes, HFT can eat into your earnings. But for small long term investors, like me, they are less relevant.




No comments: