Saturday, November 6, 2010

Making it All Work

By David Allen.

I have a fascination with procrastination books. Part of me hopes that with the right trick, the right philosophy, the right training, I will unlock my inner hardworking, creative drive.

I'm starting to think though that everyone procrastinates. There is no silver bullet. Really productive people just focus on the really important things and cut everything else out.

Back to David Allen, he of "Getting Things Done" fame. He has a few good insights on they way work work, how we get bogged down and how to be more productive.

To oversimplify, Allen believes in organization and systems. Simple, clean, efficient systems that deal with most any situation.

Allen also feels we soak up to much of our space and time with crap, mental and physical. How can we focus when there are so many distractions? He suggests we spend more time asking "What does this thing mean to me?" and getting rid of that which is meaningless.

At some point in the future, I will read this book again. There is lot of good stuff in it, but I'm not in a frame of mind where I can take it up.



No comments: