Tuesday, July 13, 2010

What got you here won't get you there...

By Marshall Goldsmith

Its been about a month since I read "What got you here won't get you there..." I remember seven things about this book. They seem to be important things, so I'm going to write them down.

1. Watch out for the subtle ways we say "I'm better than you." or "I'm right, you're wrong" Perhaps we don't admit our mistakes, don't take responsibility for problems, forget to give proper credit, don't listen, are too negative or are too quick to dismiss other people and their ideas. The subtext of all of this is "I know better than you."

2. Listen. Don't respond with "No" or "But" or "However" or something else that subtly says "You are wrong. I know better than you."

3. Think carefully about what you say and do. If your words and actions aren't helpful, then are they necessary?

4. Say "Thank you" more often. When someone gives you negative feedback, don't argue with them or try to justify yourself. Just say "Thank you."

5. Apologize for your mistakes. Don't make long drawn out apologies-- they end up turning into excuses. Just say "I'm sorry."

6. Solicit feed back more often. Don't ask "What did we do wrong? What could we have done better?" as that just solicits a rehash of the past, and you can't change the past. Instead ask "What can we do better in the future?"

7. You can't change the past. There is very little reason to keep rehashing it.

No comments: