Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The secret super powers of David Sedaris.

"When You are Engulfed in Flames" by David Sedaris.

I thoroughly enjoyed this audio book. But it's hard to communicate why. I like David Sedaris. It is amusing, but rarely laugh out loud. I'm not constantly wondering "what will happen next?" If I stop and set it down I'm in no rush to start it back up again.

Yet the book is entertaining. Perhaps it's his selfish world view. For being a successfull gay write during the Bush administration, Sedaris is oddly a-political. He writes about his life, his friends, his quirky observations and little more.

I know he'd hate to hear this, but his gentle voice plus the combintion of amusing but not engaging, plesent but not exciting writing, means that his audio books are great for managing insomnia. As a bonus "When You Are Engulfed in Flames" is about nine hours long.

My insomnia happens when I wake up in the middle of the night and start to worry and think too much My mind engages and won't let me go back to sleep. If a David Sedaris book is playing in the back ground, then I'll listen to it. Crisis averted. Within minutes I'm back to sleep.

No comments: