Saturday, June 20, 2026

Pillion and Box Hill.

Wikipedia says Pillion is a 2025, romance, comedy, dark drama film. We saw it a while back. It was OK. I thought I'd read the book (Box Hill) that it was based on.

The story in both is focused on an S&M romance between Colin and Ray. 

Both the movie and the book have the same emotional and narrative core though their structures are very different. Near the end of Pillion Ray abruptly vanishes with no explanation. Box Hill doesn’t have that mystery. About 3/4 of the way through the book Ray dies in motorcycle accident. This leads to a long section where Colin rebuilds his life.

1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hi Harry, thanks for popping by my blog today. I just watched the movie Pillion last weekend. I haven't read the book. Based on your description of how the endings differ, I think the film ending is better. It's a gut punch illustration of just how emotionally unavailable Ray is, or perhaps just wants to be. I think his shocked face in the last moment of them in bed together was his realization that he actually did love Colin. He couldn't handle it, couldn't give up his need for dominance/control and so just disappeared instead.